Saturday, February 4, 2012

Disguised As Birds - Black Circles


Phratry [2011]

This review request was a struggle for me. I mean, the music is fine (great even), I have just had a terrible time trying to classify this collection of sound waves into something easily describable. That's a great start in my opinion.
What we have here is the most recent offering from Milwaukee's Disguised As Birds. Simply put, the record is a rock album with an obvious pop sensibility. More specifically, we have an interesting culmination of dark, rhythmic guitars and big drum sounds. The vocals are melancholy but direct, resulting in situation I could only describe as "post arena punk" (TM). It's like the group mixed the stylings of Jawbox with the production of RUSH. The songs themselves show a pleasant diversity. I keep hearing the surprising amalgamation of The Police and Fugazi (I know... but just listen to it).
Overall, Black Circles offers us something both unique and surprisingly familiar. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment