Sunday, June 19, 2011

AIDS WOLF/NIGHT WOUNDS SPLIT: "NEGATIVE PEOPLE PLAYING NEGATIVE SONGS"


Absolutely devastating split from Summer '08. The quote above comes from Toby Francis (Night Wounds: guitar/vocals/sax/clarinet) in an ""interview" conducted between him and Yannick Desranleau (AIDS Wolf: drums.) This record is extremely hateful. In many ways. And, (not so?) coincidentally, one of my favorite records of all time. And also two of my favorite bands of all time. Here's the rub:


AIDS Wolf comes with their signature unknown wave sonic assault; except this time its even more fucked than you could've hoped. I've worshiped since Live Deth, and this ripped my fucking dick out the first time I heard it in my bedroom in the hot hot suburbs outside of Sacramento.  I remember writhing on my bedroom floor(yes, I'm one of THOSE people) to "Burning in the Halls" after 10-hour shifts in a 110+ degree warehouse. This band is a constant inspiration to me, and I consider this to be possibly their finest, most challenging and, most importantly, most aggressive output. Pure aural (calculated)mayhem.


NOW...I really hate to say this, but I think Night Wounds won it for me on this split. Their side is filled with fucking CRUSHING, anthemic goth-tinged-no-wave. Much more brutal, brooding and abusive than the previous Allergic To Heat (although that is a goddamn classic.) If I were to make a short film to accompany this side of the record, it would consist of buildings collapsing, people rocking back and forth anxiously on their beds in the dark, me smashing my face into walls, and shots of the dance party this band instigated every time they played. Oh and: Jesse Taylor, if you're reading this, you better put out their final recordings soon! (Or at least send them to me!)


Come an' git it

No comments:

Post a Comment